10 Automotive Maintenance Tips Every Driver Should Know
From following your automotive maintenance schedule to being able to read the important flashing icons on your dashboard, there are few things that every driver should understand before hitting the streets of Bayside. Read our 10 automotive maintenance tips, and if you think you have a problem that’s out of your depth, explore the service specials at Platinum Volkswagen and schedule for an appointment in Hicksville.
What Every Huntington Driver Should Know
- Know the Manual: While you’ll receive plenty of general advice about how to properly maintain your car or follow your automotive maintenance schedule, your owner’s manual specifically addresses your unique vehicle needs in most circumstances.
- Inspect the Vehicle: Become familiar with the big signs that your vehicle needs some attention, i.e.: leaks, signs of tire wear, strange noises and smells, and changes in vehicle handling.
- Check Your Tires: Learn how to gauge the pressure in your tires, how to determine what the correct air pressure should be (consult your owner’s manual), perform the penny test for tread wear, and how to fill up your tires when they’re low.
- Check the Engine Oil Level: Oil keeps the hundreds of moving parts in your engine block from creating friction and generating heat. If your engine overheats, it could fail. This can total your vehicle and be a major safety hazard. Check your owner’s manual to learn how to locate your oil reservoir and keep tabs on your oil levels, so you don’t go too long without oil replacement.
- Check the Engine Coolant: Again, be sure to check your owner’s manual to learn how to locate your coolant reservoir, so you can keep track of and top of your engine coolant.
- Inspect the Engine Air Filter: You should regularly check your engine air filter. Your engine needs oxygen to combust fuel, and if it gets clogged with debris, you can expect to wear down your engine and decrease fuel efficiency.
- Use the Right Fuel: Every model needs to use a fuel with a recommended octane level. If you put the wrong fuel in your car, you’ll likely hear a knocking sound from your engine block.
- Inspect Light Bulbs: Make sure you aren’t stranded on the road at night with faulty head or tail lights. Routinely check each bulb to ensure you have maximum visibility in the dark.
- Inspect the Windshield Wipers: If your windshield wipers aren’t working effectively, and it begins to pour, you’re in a dangerous situation. Learn how to inspect wiper fluid and know when you need to change out your blades.
- Keep Track of Maintenance: The last of our automotive maintenance tips is the most important: keeping up with your automotive maintenance schedule. If you’re unsure how frequently you should be bringing your car in for a diagnostic and tune-up, consult your owner’s manual.
Have Questions About Our Automotive Maintenance Tips?
If Hempstead drivers have additional questions about tips, they’re unsure if they’re correctly following their automotive maintenance schedule, or they want to schedule a Volkswagen service appointment, they can call 516-681-1300 for help. Be sure to explore our service tips for more informative reads about how often to rotate your tires and how to check your transmission fluid.
More from Platinum Volkswagen
The 2021 Volkswagen ID.4 is here and ready to electrify America as one of the most affordable electric vehicles in the market for many drivers. If you have been wanting an electric SUV for your Bayside commutes but have not been able to afford one, you can now with the ID.4! So which 2021…
The wait for the highly anticipated 2022 Volkswagen Taos is finally over! Bayside drivers have been longing to see what the VW Taos brings to the market before its release date and now they can see what’s new. With this new versatile and smart compact SUV, you can go to all of your Huntington…
Drive in power and unique style with a 2021 Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport. With a total of 8 Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport configurations, you can mix and match features and amenities to find the perfect fit for the Bayside roads. Whether you like the sporty Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport SEL R Line or the…